Tales of a Yankee Hobbit

On the life and mind of a traveler in Divaland. Think Samuel Pepys plus Anaïs Nin plus mid-life. Or not.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Claremont, CA, United States

I am a singer of the soprano variety who thinks. A lot. I also read and rant. Single and aunt-y. Why Yankee Hobbit? Because I'm from Buffalo, NY and my Mom once called me her little Hobbit because of all of my adventures.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Shameless self-promotion...

Extra, Extra, read all about it!

Upcoming Performances:

Sunday, September 17, 2006 4 p.m.
"The Singer's Voice" - A musical-autobiographical retrospective of MEG's life so far. Hosted by musician and raconteur Dan Chouinard and based on his long-running MPR show of the same name.
St. Philip Presbyterian Church (San Felipe at 610). Free.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 7 p.m.
Ars Lyrica Houston"Stravaganze" - Extravagant vocal and instrumental music from the late Italian Baroque, including vocal fireworks by Vivaldi and Handel and instrumental thrills by Alessandro and Domenico Scarlatti. Featuring Melissa Givens, soprano, Gerrod Pagenkopf, countertenor, and Timothy Jones, bass-baritone.
Zilkha Hall, Hobby Center (800 Bagby). Tix $25.

And it's not a performance, but without it, you'd not be reading this post right now:
Friday, September 22, all day (well actually, for about a week before and after) MY BIRTHDAY!

And there was much celebrating throughout the land...

Random thought for the day:
As I was lugging my belongings to the far reaches of the UH parking lot one afternoon, I noticed a neon sign on the side of the Blaffer Art Gallery. A neon sign was strange and random enough to behold. What it said was :

LAUGHTER

Then I saw a flashing letter to the left of it. I thought, typical school building. Put up a sign and the lights start to go. Then I noticed what the letter was. An "S," making the word

SLAUGHTER

I was literally taken aback. One measly letter was the difference between not only two vastly different pronunciations, but diametrically opposed concepts. Turns out it's an installation from London. Makes one think, won' it (arcane NC all-purpose slang, the exact orthography of which is anyone's guess. Means essentially, Right? Do you agree? Is that not the case, etc.)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home