Tales of a Yankee Hobbit

On the life and mind of a traveler in Divaland. Think Samuel Pepys plus Anaïs Nin plus mid-life. Or not.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Claremont, CA, United States

I am a singer of the soprano variety who thinks. A lot. I also read and rant. Single and aunt-y. Why Yankee Hobbit? Because I'm from Buffalo, NY and my Mom once called me her little Hobbit because of all of my adventures.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

To Err Is Human...

I made a mistake last night. I know that comes as a huge surprise to any one who knows me. Probably the surprise is that I admitted it, right? OK, really! I was visiting a friend out in Tanglewood (for those outside of Houston, west of the Galleria) and had to go from there to a party over in 3rd Ward (again, non-Houstonians, just past the eastern edge of the Medical Center). As I am wont to do, I was trying to figure out the quickest way to get there without consulting a) my Key Map or b) my Human Key Map (aka, The Organist).

My initial thought was to take the 610 Loop south to 288 and around to Calumet. As I passed the exit for 59 I thought, hmmm. It would be far more direct to take 59 north to 288, as they intersect right at Calumet. Remember, this thought process occurred after I passed the 59 exit. So then I thought, well, it'd be a bit of a pain to turn around and catch 59. It'd be a bigger pain, plus a lot more time and gas (and therefore money) to stay on 610.

So I turned around.

In the U-turn at Beechnut, a thought occurred to me. How many times have we/I continued down a path that clearly wasn't the best one for us/me, just because we were/I was already on it? It comes down to the question of what is expedient versus what is best. Doing what ultimately turned out to be the right thing entailed a certain amount of inconvenience. I had to admit my wrong thinking, figure out how to reverse course, actually reverse course, make up the lost distance and finally, get where I wanted to be.

It sounds hard, but it wasn't. I was happy that I had saved a little time and gas and remembered, before it was too late, the best way to get from point A to point B.

Hmmm. I wonder where else I can apply this epiphany? My list is pretty long. Bet yours is too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home