Tales of a Yankee Hobbit

On the life and mind of a traveler in Divaland. Think Samuel Pepys plus Anaïs Nin plus mid-life. Or not.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Claremont, CA, United States

I am a singer of the soprano variety who thinks. A lot. I also read and rant. Single and aunt-y. Why Yankee Hobbit? Because I'm from Buffalo, NY and my Mom once called me her little Hobbit because of all of my adventures.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Porgy-- that's a fish, right?

Hello all! Greetings from colder-than-it-oughta-be-but-no-one's-surprised-because-it's-lakeside-Minnesota-in-May Duluth!

Yes, it has been a while, but there is an incredibly good reason for that. I have been completely and totally out of my mind accomplishing the end of the semester/quarter and lots of work besides. Yea, even now, whilst sharing a little bit of my world with you, I should be learning music. Or sleeping. Or both.

When last we met ourself coming, we were in the midst of paper presentations. Well, got through those. The papers were a little more of an issue. The George Crumb Ancient Voices of Children paper for Performance Practice II was due first. I thought I'd have trouble reaching the minimum of 15 pages. Ha! Following my outline (a novel concept– I should have tried it years and degrees ago), I was not even 2/3 done and already at 17 pages.

Between that and impending dawn, I whittled down the focus and topped out at 21. The kicker? I belatedly took the Conductor's advice to contact Mr. Crumb for my paper. I didn't really expect to hear back, but the day after I turned the paper in, I heard from his "people." Becky S. said I could "call George and ask him" my questions. !!!!!!!! Of course I called. He's just as sweet and laid back as the books and articles said he was. We spoke for about 20 minutes about singers and music and Jan DeGaetani and AVOC. It was great.

Before I did that though, I took my Italian Madrigal final. There was also a concert with the Bach Society that weekend with the concomitant rehearsals.

So, the madrigal paper, the one I thought wouldn't be so hard, was truly kicking my butt. Maybe because I was focusing on a socio-political aspect rather than a musical one. I don't know. I also lost some time to some, um, unexpected rehearsals. At any rate, the night before the thing was due I was in near hysterics with absolutely nothing to go on and no brain power to get there. I broke down and asked for my first extension ever! Extension granted. Finally got that sucker in last week.

Of course, that was the week I had planned to solidify my Clara and Mary Magdalene for those fast approaching performances. Alas, they had to wait too. But I got through the Handel-- after which I had to finish packing for a 7 am flight to Duluth for Porgy.

Although I am having a blast and getting to know/be reacquainted with some fine singers, this Porgy thing (yes, there really is a fish called porgy– it's one of the few fish my non-pescatorial gustatationally inclined mother would eat when I was growing up) is turning into an object lesson in why I need an agent. Of course, all of the other singers are managed and they're still here, so maybe not. But I digress.

This show was supposed to be a concert presentation of the opera Porgy & Bess. For those of you who don't know, that means you take an opera (sets, costumes, staging, movements, props, etc.) and perform it like an oratorio (stand and sing, looking stunning in a fabulous gown). Then they said, well, we'll make it semi-staged, with just a few entrances and exits and a little "business" to establish some of the drama. We get to Duluth and find that it's essentially a fully staged production, only without costumes per se, and with limited props/set-pieces. And I am BEAT, I tell you! They've got me dancing and carrying a baby (yes, they were able to find a baby of color at the KMart), and running around and whatnot. Ack. But it'll be great. The cast is pretty amazing!

As usual, I had some great observations over the last few weeks that I wanted to remember and share with you, but as usual, they've left the building. Rats.

Now I lay me down to sleep. Catch you on the flippers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home